Monday, July 20, 2015

Sticks and Stones, the Rematch

Last week, I had to undergo a procedure my body truly hates.


After a series of personal records, I ended up having to stay overnight to make sure everything was okay. I actually didn't return to work until today. I'm okay - it was just a long journey.


The reason I'm writing about it now may seem silly. I'd rather seem silly and say something I think is important than not say anything.


When someone tells you that they're in the hospital, don't say "Tell them to fix you for good this time." Particularly if it's someone, like me, whose illness has no cure.


When someone has marks all over their arms from being in the hospital, don't make jokes about drug use. In 90+ degree weather, I'm wearing long sleeves until the purple-black bulges all over my arms go away. It's not just about perception - it's about being reminded of the pain, and the worry of last week and how, in a few weeks, I'll have to go back in for the same procedure.


You never know what your words mean to other people. Please be careful with the power your words possess.

No comments:

Post a Comment