Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Poetry from Another Time in My Life

Scientific studies (peer-reviewed, replicated results) have found that we are more emotionally open in our teenage years. The music you listened to as a teen? There will never be music to touch you more specifically than those you cherished.


In my own experience, music is not the only thing to which this intense affection reaches. In the past months, I have rediscovered some of my old passions.


One that sits next to me now is an unassuming book of poems. The title is common amongst poets, Selected Poems. Poems that echo other styles, places that wouldn't look the same if I could open a door tomorrow and gaze upon them. I read this book, cover to cover, nearly 15 years ago. The words still take my breath away. I've memorized more than one. I have hunted for this book for 10 years.


I've been in and out of the hospital a lot in the last three weeks. Today is the best I've felt in two years. I came home late last night to the book I've been chasing like a shadow across memory and buried my nose in it immediately. An old friend washing over me with delight, intimate stories and a welcoming promise that the times I remember, before this, were real and tangible.


There is nothing I find more promising than the Autumn. Cooler temperatures, leaves changing, the changing feelings that Fall brings. I always feel like I find my way a little more clearly in the later months. Here's to the hope that my feet find the right way.

No comments:

Post a Comment